 CAD / Development / 9562
Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 20:48:39 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing wrote:
I think having ldraw.ini in LDRAWDIR is contradictory, the hen and
egg problem.  To keep thing simple I would like to have only *one*
ldraw.ini, and since we're going to have it in
HOME/USERPROFILE/windir anyway to find the LDRAWDIR, I don't see any
reason to spread it out.

The hunt for ldraw.ini could be:
Windows:
%LDRAWINI%
%USERPROFILE%\ldraw.ini
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\ldraw.ini
%windir%\ldraw.ini

But wait.  The reason given for looking in LDRAWDIR is for a central
networked LDRAW installation at a school.  It'd be nice to have a
default ldraw.ini file at the central location that can be overridden
by one in a users home directory.

Isn't that what %ALLUSERSPROFILE% is for?

I'm logged onto an NT domain right now at work and it's set to this:

  ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users

That's on the local drive.  But I suppose you're right, a competent
administrator could set it up somewhere on the network.  What does a
typical networked Windows installation look like?  My USERPROFILE
and ALLUSERSPROFILE are on the C drive, but the "My Documents" folder
on the start menu is mapped to a location on the network via the
"%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Shortcut to My Documents.lnk" file.  I suspect
the admins created that lnk via the login script, but I'm not positive.

LDRAWINI is just an opportunity for quickly temporarily using another
specific ldraw.ini file.

I don't think I'll ever use it because it confuses me.  If you have
both LDRAWDIR and LDRAWINI environment variables set, which setting
do you use to determine the LDRAWDIR: the LDRAWDIR environment var,
or the BaseDirectory setting in $LDRAWINI/ldraw.ini?  If you have a
particularly evil Windows administrator who points both LDRAWINI and
LDRAWDIR to his undesireable parts directories, how does the poor
Windows user go about overriding it?

Seems to me programs need the ability to specify the LDRAWINI directory (and
possibly LDRAWDIR) on the command line, for non-standard setups.

Maybe the library needs an Ldraw-specific getopt[1] function as well.

ROSCO

[1] http://www.rt.com/man/getopt.3.html