 CAD / Development / 9565
Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 22:22:02 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Ross Crawford wrote:
Seems to me programs need the ability to specify the LDRAWINI directory
(and possibly LDRAWDIR) on the command line, for non-standard setups.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.  Do you mean "USERS need the
ability to specify", or "programs need the ability to READ"?

Well to be usable, both must be implemented.

Either way,
that approach is for advanced users (software geeks) only.  We're trying
to improve things for ordinary users, and forcing them run a command
prompt to use their preferred non-standard settings in their LDRAW
programs is just wrong.  Even for an advanced user, how is this better
than just setting an environment variable right before running the
program?

As I said it would only be for non-standard setups. I think the Lars' search
list is ample for the vast majority of people.

Those using networks, etc, probably would classify as "advanced users" or need
help from their network administrators to set stuff up anyway, so creating a
shortcut (or whatever for their platform) with command line parameters is
probably not gonna be a big issue.

I think trying to get a solution that works automatically for every environment
is next to impossible, this would cater for those that "dont fit the mold".

ROSCO