 CAD / Development / 9554
Re: LDRAWPREDIRS LDRAWPOSTDIRS - additional search paths
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 18:25:39 GMT

"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing wrote:
The data contained in either environment variables or ini files
should have exactly the same format.

I agree, and prefer <> around all tags.

Ok, agreed too. So with have <HIDE> and optionally <SHOW> - right?

Quotation marks should not be necessay if we use the < >.

You are right but I still would allow them for the rare case of
blanks at the end of a directory name.

Trailing blanks are preserved in both env var and ini files.
So I still don't think quotation marks are necessary...

Ah, but what about leading blanks.  ;^)  Nevermind, I don't think you
can create an absolute path that starts with leading blanks.

I would still like the quotation marks as an option - not a must. If a user
uses them fine, if not also fine - if there is a problem with blanks or tabs
the user can still use quotation marks.

<SNIP>
So, how about this search strategy?

Windows:
%USERPROFILE%\ldraw.ini
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\ldraw.ini
%LDRAWDIR%\ldraw.ini
%WINDIR%\ldraw.ini

That would be a perfect way I guess. MLCad also allows to let the user
specify the ldraw dir manualy in a dialog. I could imagine having this
option as an emergency solution if no ldraw dir can be found.

Unix:
$HOME/.ldrawrc
$HOME/ldraw.ini
$LDRAWDIR/ldraw.ini
/etc/ldraw.ini

Mac OS X:
~/Library/Preferences/org.ldraw.plist
/Library/Preferences/org.ldraw.plist
$LDRAWDIR/ldraw.ini  (I'm not sure about this one)

no idea about Mac's but unix looks good.

Obviously if you don't have LDRAWDIR set by an environment variable
you'll have to skip the step that looks in the LDRAWDIR.

Or open a dialog to ask the user for this path once, my feeling is if the
user didn't setup the variable - the user will not modify the ldraw.ini file
either - at least that is what I learned from houndreds of support requests
from MLCad users.

Michael