 CAD / Development / 8783
Re: LDraw.org Standards Committee (LSC) Draft Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:00:20 GMT

I'm going to snip out the stuff I'm not going to comment on

Another thing to note: The "LDraw" file format is set in stone, and it is
whatever LDraw/LEdit can use. The "LDraw.org" file format is extensible, and
based upon meta-commands. The goal here is to form a direction for the
extension of the LDraw.org file format, and define future standards and >formats.

I like this distiction.  Now we can concentrate on forging a new path
without having to worry about legacy DOS programs

Requirements for Membership
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To ensure only competent, dedicated, and active contributors become members
of the LSC, they shall have met one or more of the following requirements:

- Authored an LDraw part subsequently released in an Official LDraw.org
Parts Update
- Served as a reviewer on the Parts Tracker through at least 2 official
parts updates
- Authored a software program that is compliant with either the LDraw 0.2.7
spec or another spec published by the LSC

I like this idea of having qualified members.  You are definately qualified
if you have one or more parts certified or you write a program but I think
that the reviwer req needs some further clarification.  My suggestion is this:

-Served as a reviwer on the Parts Tracker through at least 2 official parts
updates and have posted least 5 reviews per update

This ensures that the candidate has activly served as a reviewer and is not
just somebody who happens to have reviewer access

Elections
~~~~~~~~~
The LDraw.org Members eligible for LSC membership will vote on the nominees
by privately listing the five (5) nominees they select for the position.
Votes will be received and tallied by the LDraw.org leadership, who will be
accountable to each other for accuracy. The 1st LSC will consist of no more
than 5 people, however the LSC will be able to create vacant seats to be
filled at a future election if they wish.

I assumes votes will be handled by Email to a special email address at
LDraw.org?

All and all I think this is a very well formed document.  I would accept it
even without the change I suggested.  Hopefully we can get this machine
rolling in the right direction.

-Orion