 CAD / Development / 8818
Re: LDraw.org Standards Committee (LSC) Draft Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 17:16:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Kyle McDonald writes:

Unless I mis-read something, I think this initial group of 5 is
the (parent organization) LDraw.org's leadership doing double duty
as the initial Ldraw.org Stnadards Comitee for the sole purpose of
setting up how the Standards commitee will be chosen. From what I
read the real Standards commitee will be chosen sometime in July
(pretty aggressive schedule if you ask me.) and its very possible
that it may be made up of entirely different people I suppose.

You're mostly right. I suppose the proposal/message wasn't clear enough (and
this is the part I was afraid of it not being clear enough in, so I tried to
disclaim it).

I don't think that what Kyle is describing is what I have in mind.

Me either.

Snipped the next bit because it's a good summation of the roles...

I'm one of the instigators in the creation of the LSC,

And thanks muchly for that! progress on overall org goals had stagnated. a
good sharp poke was a good thing.

<more snippage>

You're right on track. I want to emphasize that - as a community site, we
need to start somewhere. There needs to be efforts made to end the chaos and
ambiguity surrounding LDraw.org standards and organization leadership. The
LSC proposal is intended to do 2 things: solve the issues of forming
standards, and introduce a need to further define what LDraw.org is and how
it is led.

Ohhh.... I don't agree that your second part is the LSC's job.  I think that
the initiation of the creation of the LSC has brought to light the ambigious
nature of *what LDraw.org is*, but it is not LSC's job to resolve that.  That
is LDraw.org's job with the help of the community at large.

What I think Tim meant here (and what I KNOW I mean here) is this:

Setting up the voting mechanism to elect the LSC will help resolve the
current ambiguity as a second order effect. It is NOT the LSC's job to bring
structure to ldraw.org. But bringing the LSC into existance with the
election mechanism that's being proposed will nevertheless drive structure
into ldraw.org.

Once that election mechanism is in place (meaning, once the ldraw.org
membership has self selected itself and binsorted itself into qualified to
vote (to ratify) on LSC proposals, and just general interest guys, and the
voting mechanism itself is established) it's natural to move beyond where we
are now. The current structure can be replaced with a more formal structure,
the current steering committee can be replaced with an elected one and lots
of other good things.

None of that is the LSC's job. It's the 4+1's job and the community's job.
The LSC is just the push to make it happen, at last, after much talk-talk.
Let's do the things that will enable the 4+1 to be replaced them with an
elected steering committee. But bootstrapping an org takes work. The LSC is
a good reason to finally do that work.

(I see Tim posted a response to your post as well, saying the same thing in
different words... that's good)

Hope that helps.