 CAD / Development / 8807
Re: LDraw.org Standards Committee (LSC) Draft Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 00:00:06 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Kyle McDonald writes:

Unless I mis-read something, I think this initial group of 5 is
the (parent organization) LDraw.org's leadership doing double duty
as the initial Ldraw.org Stnadards Comitee for the sole purpose of
setting up how the Standards commitee will be chosen. From what I
read the real Standards commitee will be chosen sometime in July
(pretty aggressive schedule if you ask me.) and its very possible
that it may be made up of entirely different people I suppose.

You're mostly right. I suppose the proposal/message wasn't clear enough (and
this is the part I was afraid of it not being clear enough in, so I tried to
disclaim it).

A couple years ago, the four of us posted this message:
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/org/ldraw/?n=1183 - sometime following the
CAD summit, when there was another push to organize LDraw.org. This is quite
a while before the idea of a standards body came up.

If the proposal implies the leadership group defined there is doing double
duty as the initial LSC, that's wrong. My rationale is, we have to start
somewhere with this - and the only defined leadership group stems from that
post. According to the proposal, the leadership group, which I like to call
the "4+1" for short, is responsible for setting the LSC in motion. That
means appointing the initial chairperson and secretary, and holding the
first elections. The 4+1 members don't make up the LSC, they hold the vote,
and the LSC is a subcommittee of the 4+1. There could be overlap between the
two, but the first LSC could in theory be entirely different people. The LSC
is limited in scope to defining LDraw.org file format standards, nothing more.

I would think that one of the things up for discussion between now
and then may even be the number of people on it, and what qualifications
they may need? But I may not have seen something that says otherwise.

Well, the proposal is up for discussion. I honestly think this document is
90-100% there. I posted it to get public response and feedback to resolve
any issues that may be outstanding in it. I also posted it to get interest
back up in the LSC idea, as well as the idea of more organization for LDraw.org.

I guess that also leaves mw wondering though, Who sets up the rules
by which this upper level of LDraw.org leadership is chosen/replaced?
and operates?

We set them up ourselves originally, because we had to start somewhere. BUT
- that should be one of the tasks of the 4+1 itself discussing in
conjunction with the community, to set up a system for LDraw.org leadership.
Eventually, the system proposed should be put to a vote for ratification,
and the individuals to fill leadership roles for LDraw.org voted on as well.

Then again I could be totally out on a limb here. :)

You're right on track. I want to emphasize that - as a community site, we
need to start somewhere. There needs to be efforts made to end the chaos and
ambiguity surrounding LDraw.org standards and organization leadership. The
LSC proposal is intended to do 2 things: solve the issues of forming
standards, and introduce a need to further define what LDraw.org is and how
it is led.

-Tim