 CAD / Development / 8816
Re: LDraw.org Standards Committee (LSC) Draft Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 17:05:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney writes:

You're right on track. I want to emphasize that - as a community site, we
need to start somewhere. There needs to be efforts made to end the chaos and
ambiguity surrounding LDraw.org standards and organization leadership. The
LSC proposal is intended to do 2 things: solve the issues of forming
standards, and introduce a need to further define what LDraw.org is and how
it is led.

Ohhh.... I don't agree that your second part is the LSC's job.  I think that
the initiation of the creation of the LSC has brought to light the ambigious
nature of *what LDraw.org is*, but it is not LSC's job to resolve that.  That
is LDraw.org's job with the help of the community at large.

[snip everything else, good stuff]

I think I wasn't clear enough. As you read it, I don't agree either. I meant
- this proposal is yet another catalyst to the issue of further organizing
and defining LDraw.org. It isn't the LSC's job, but the LSC's creation is
yet another push in that direction. So, after tackling the LSC - which is
arguably of immediate/near term need, the community and the LDraw.org
leadership should shift focus towards discussing and defining LDraw.org and
how it functions as an organization. An initial group of installed leaders
would be appropriate for a term, followed by org elections by the LDraw.org
membership, for example.

I want to put off the in-depth discussion surrounding this for a little bit,
and focus on LSC issues. Just thought I'd post to clarify. We're agreeing, I
was just confusing in the way I worded things.

-Tim