 CAD / Development / 8782
Re: Preview of multi-level callouts complete with pointers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:33:42 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Miguel Agullo writes:
Hi Kevin,

You've done it again! This is a HUGE improvement as it allows a much needed
"step hierarchy", extremely useful for generating instructions - your step 0
is actually two steps. This is really great.

I am probably being too inquisitive too early, but how are the coordinates
for the callout placements and pointers resolved? Are they tied to a
determined resolution of the final output? Does Lpub change them
automatically if the output resolutions is changed?

I was thinking more about this (and I've asked Miguel to help me with the
resolution independent architecture of the new LPub features), and there are
two *different* issues here.

Issue 1:
I want to render everything in low resolution (to save time) until I get things
they way I want, then I want to increase the resolution for the final draft,
and have everything scale accordingly.  The final draft is destined for the
web, so when I raise the resolution, I don't want the borders and callout
seperators and such to increase in size.

Issue 2:
I want to render everything in low resolution (to save time), but when I
increase the resolution for printing, I want the borders ans callout seperators
to increase in thickness, so they look right when they are printed.

How do we address the conflict between these two wants?

This whole *resolution indepence* is a very good idea, and especially now in
the beginning of the *LPub for page layout* era, before things get too
entrenched.  But.... it is a new concept for me to deal with.

Kevin