 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5520
Re: Hook Coupling 737c01.dat and 444.dat train wheel.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:16:04 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Chris Dee wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Niels Karsdorp wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote: • [SNIP]
And then I have a question about naming: why do you name the pieces totally
contrary to peeron? I would not have found your parts by myself, because I would
have looked after the peeron numbers. Is there any system in your
x???-numbering?

Kind Regards,

Ben

Dear Chris,

thanks for your patience with stupid newbies like me. Sorry for being not able
to find out these things for myself.

Your explanation has now been very clear and (semi-)logical for me. I would have
wished to find a numbering which had been the same for peeron and ldraw, but I
can guess that this would need lots of communication and organizational
work....

There is a logic to Niels' xNNN numbers and although this has been explained
several times before, it probably deserves repeating.

The LDraw convention for part numbers (initiated by James Jessiman) is to use
3-digit part numbers where the "official" number is not known.

During development, and certification prior to release into the official
library
these parts are prefixed with an "x" - so x507.dat on the Parts Tracker will be
released as 507.dat unless its true number is identified.

Independently, peeron started using xNNN numbers for the parts it needed to add
to its reference library, starting with x1 and now over x1200.

So there is no linkage between a peeron xNNN number and a LDraw xNNN number.
Indeed in many cases an already allocated peeron xNNN number cannot be used for
LDraw because the equivalent NNN number is already in the official library.

For prolific authors, like Niels, the LDraw parts admins (Steve Bliss and
myself) allocate batches of available xNNN numbers to avoid unnecessary
interaction for each part submission.

When we come close to running out of 3-digit numbers, Steve and I will decide a
new policy. If the confusion between LDraw xNNN.dat (NNN.dat) numbers and
peeron
xN, xNN, xNNN and xNNNN numbers is too great, we might need to develop that
policy sooner.

Ok, my confusion has now passed, but other newbies will follow for sure...
Sorry for bothering and stealing your time.

Kind Regards,

Ben