 CAD / 9002
9001  |  9003
Subject:
LeoCAM alpha release
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 08:41:17 GMT

Hi all:

  I'm very glad to announce the first alpha release of LeoCAM, a CAD derived
from LeoCAD that incorporates mechanical features in it. This project is
being developped by Francisco Gonzalez Garcia as his undergraduate final
project at the University of Girona, Spain, and I, Gustavo Patow.

  The project outline is quite simple: we wanted to add mechanical features
to a Lego CAD. In order to do that, we wanted to take an existing CAD and
modify it in order to simplify the way we assemble models. That is, take
advantage of the natural Lego system to connect bricks (pieces in general)
and reflect this in the CAD. Thus, we contacted LeoCAD's author, Leonardo
Zide, asked for his permisson, took LeoCAD code and started working on it.
  Up to now we've only defined the simpler Stud-StudInlet interactions, and
only for a small subset of the available parts, but with this we're able to
model tons of simple models in a quite straightforward way. Just select the
Stud and the StudInlet you want to connect, and connect them! Parts will
authomatically join and verify further conections made. When you finish, use
LeoCAD natural file system to save your work.
  The whole system is very simmilar to was proposed as LCD, but we've
discovered that AFTERWARDS... Anyway, both systems are not incompatible, and
efforts could be done to join both proposals.

  We would like to share our first achievements on this with the rest of the
LDraw comunity, releasing an "alpha" version for the people to start playing
with. The available downloads are:

I) The LeoCAM binary, including all files for an "unzip & play" installation.
Unfortunately, current version is Windows only...
II) The LeoCAM sources, but take into account that we're continuously modifying
them!
III) A small english documentation in PDF format. It's short, but describes
completely how to use the new features and our future plans.

In the future days a proper web page will be set up (thanks to Jacob Sparre
Andersen), but meanwhile you could directly download the files from:

http://www.ldraw.org/download/leocam/LeoCAM-Alpha-Binary.zip
http://www.ldraw.org/download/leocam/LeoCAM-Alpha-Source.zip
http://www.ldraw.org/download/leocam/LeoCAM-documentation.pdf

Hoping that our project will bring even more joy to the LDraw comunity, I
remain yours truly

Gustavo Patow.-
PS: Please, remember that this is only an "alpha" version...