 CAD / 5527
Re: Lego parts for PovRay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 02:45:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Lars C. Hassing writes:
I've always admired Anton Raves' renderings, he is very good at setting
the light and other POV parameters. And his parts looks great, he has done
many difficult parts like propellers.

In december 2000 I asked Anton Raves whether he had considered to make
a conversion table, but it seems he is a Mac-freak :-)
He knows LDraw, MLCad, L3P etc. but as there are no Mac versions,
he hasn't gotten into them.
Perhaps Erik Olson's efforts on BrickDraw3D can be an opening.

I would like to connect my program to POV-RAY.  Since BrickDraw3D aims at
being best at interactive modeling, adapting it to work alongside POVRAY
would make a natural division of labor.

Two ways to do this. 1. Finish the POVRAY plugin for the Quesa architecture.
2. Exporting POVRAY input files--probably the most desirable to POVRAY
users. For that, I'd have to discover the translation tables desired. (Or do
the obvious thing: exporting only DAT part descriptions already in memory.)

I haven't worked with POVRAY since 1994, but it was my first foray into
virtual Lego. Made my own yellow castle parts. Tim told me there were a lot
of people trying it around then, and nobody talked much to each other.

-Erik