 CAD / 14150
Re: I found an LDRAW importer for Google SketchUp
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2006 05:23:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Anders Isaksson wrote:
Don't know if this has been mentioned here before, but I have found an LDRAW
import plugin, made by Jim Foltz(?), for the Google SketchUp program:
http://jim.foltz.googlepages.com/sketchupldrawimporter

I have only checked it on the CAR.DAT yet, but that works, even the colors
come through.

One important thing for international users: It barfs if your Windows is not
configured for a decimal *point* (it crashed SketchUp on my Swedish Win XP
until I changed the National Settings to DP).

If you haven't heard about it, Google SketchUp (http://sketchup.google.com)
is a free drawing program with many interesting properties. It's probably
not suited for LDRAW part authoring, but it can be a great way to play a
little in 3D with your model.

Actually I wonder about that. I searched recently for good 3D modeler programs
on the premise that using such programs could rapidly shrink part authoring time
if done well. In the process I also found Pictomod3D
(http://www.styxar.com/ptm3d.htm) which looks like it has potential. Imagine
getting started with a part by just taking a few photos and running them through
Pictomod3D, and then tweaking the result. This could be really amazing for
non-geometric parts like hair, plants, and animals.

If the LDraw importer for Google SketchUp can also save in .dat format, then
SketchUp could mock up a part and then more detail (including primitives) can be
added in another editor later. Right now I'm working on modeling the minifig
ponytail hair and farmer/blacksmith cowl using just LDraw Design Pad, which is a
slow and tedious process at best. (I figure at the rate I'm going after I've
just started, if I keep up at this pace, I could knock the ponytail piece out by
later December.)