 CAD / 14174
Re: I found an LDRAW importer for Google SketchUp
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 4 Nov 2006 10:03:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Lee Gaiteri wrote:
Many modeling programs I've looked into over the years (I don't currently use a
3D modeler because of this) don't allow that level of precision, no. However,
with complex parts like hair, manually adding a zillion lines and triangles
isn't all that feasible. As far as conditional edges go, my edger utility can
handle adding those, but the rest is quite hard. Neither LDraw Design Pad nor
MLCad is able to simply move a vertex, split an edge, etc. I'm tempted to write
my own program for this, but I think it'd be easier to design an LDDP plugin
than write a program. I've been compiling a list of functions that no current
editor I've seen has:

- Split a quad into two triangles
- Split an edge
- Easily move a vertex
- Enforce same winding among traingles/quads that touch
- Add primitives according to a scripted math formula (e.g., lines, triangles)

Hi Lee,

for the last four years I've been working on a program to do things like that -
move vertexes easily, handle the winding, add mathematically simple shapes like
circles in an easy way, calculate the intersction line between two objects...
What kind of functions do you need? I can try and implement some of them (if I'm
able).

First screenshots can be found here:

I hope I can publish the program in Spring 2007.

Leg Godt-
Sven