 CAD / 14166
Re: I found an LDRAW importer for Google SketchUp
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2006 20:31:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jim Foltz wrote:
   As a side note, there is at least one part that gives me problems: 6120.dat . Importing 6120.dat (minifig ski) gives me ski. I can fix this by switching the order of the vertices in the .dat file, but I don’t know how to automatically detect which order to use in the plugin.

If you look at LDLoader/LDLQuadLine.cpp in the LDView source code, you will find my code for fixing the winding of bow-tie quads. (Specifically, look at LDLQuadLine::swapPointsIfNeeded.) If the algorithm I use isn’t apparent, or you’re not familiar with C++, let me know and I’ll describe it for you.

I don’t know if sketchup has a concept of front and back faces for polygons (I’m guessing it does), but if it does, you won’t be able to determine the proper front surface of polygons for any parts that aren’t BFC-certified. You can, however, automatically generate two polygons containing the same points with opposite windings for any polgons where you don’t know the winding.

--Travis