 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 1496

New MOC: Disc Racer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build, lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:46:13 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I took a break from studying midterms to build a small ship, somewhat inspired by an idea I posted in August.

   The Disc Racer

This was a chance to use some dark red and other parts aquired in BrickFest purchases. I really like the clean studless look (which Phil Painter does really well). It’s funny how the last two ships I’ve built (the Spiffcraft and this one) are circular, but the building technique is completely different. Just about all of the SNOT in this one is thanks to more than 20 1x1 Technic beams with half-pins.

Some tricky parts with this MOC included fitting the flaps and landing gear (inspired by Jon’s T-Wing) into a space no more than one brick thick. I think it turned out pretty well.

Please LMKWYT! Comments, questions, criticisms, etc encouraged.
--Bram

   Bram Lambrecht
www.bldesign.org

Re: New MOC: Disc Racer
In lugnet.announce.moc, Bram Lambrecht wrote:
   I took a break from studying midterms to build a small ship, somewhat inspired by an idea I posted in August.

   The Disc Racer

This was a chance to use some dark red and other parts aquired in BrickFest purchases. I really like the clean studless look (which Phil Painter does really well). It’s funny how the last two ships I’ve built (the Spiffcraft and this one) are circular, but the building technique is completely different. Just about all of the SNOT in this one is thanks to more than 20 1x1 Technic beams with half-pins.

Some tricky parts with this MOC included fitting the flaps and landing gear (inspired by Jon’s T-Wing) into a space no more than one brick thick. I think it turned out pretty well.

Please LMKWYT! Comments, questions, criticisms, etc encouraged.
--Bram

Bram, wow. This is one sweet little craft. Love the contrast of the sleek round flat disc with the fin and cockpit/engine. Some pro-crazy snotwork you’ve got going there. And the use of dark red where and how you did really adds to it; makes it look even faster. Great flaps with the flags, and the greebled underside is sweet. That landing gear config is so nice. Also, great work using that evil cockpit piece and getting the whole fig inside. Doors - why didn’t I think of doors! :-)

Awesome.

Re: New MOC: Disc Racer
   In lugnet.announce.moc, Bram Lambrecht wrote:
   I took a break from studying midterms to build a small ship, somewhat inspired by an idea I posted in August.

   The Disc Racer

Bram, wow. This is one sweet little craft. Love the contrast of the sleek round flat disc with the fin and cockpit/engine.

Thanks!

   Some pro-crazy snotwork you’ve got going there.

Familiarity with the 5 plates to 2 studs really helps here. The only SNOT parts I used were

about 24 of these:
   4 of these:
   and 4 of these:

   Also, great work using that evil cockpit piece and getting the whole fig inside.

It was really difficult figuring out how to use that piece. I picked it out because I didn’t want anything large that would overpower the wing. Then I tried to figure out how to use it in a standard configuration, but couldn’t get something that looked sleek enough and would still allow a fig to fit.

   Doors - why didn’t I think of doors! :-)

After that I realized car doors might help to get the right shape, I had to search forever to find the barely-ever-used drawer with all the doors in it....and when I did find it, I had to find some that hadn’t turned yellow.

   Awesome.

Glad you liked it.
--Bram

   Bram Lambrecht
www.bldesign.org

Re: New MOC: Disc Racer
In lugnet.announce.moc, Bram Lambrecht wrote:
   I took a break from studying midterms to build a small ship, somewhat inspired by an idea I posted in August.

   The Disc Racer

snipped
Wow!

I really liked this ship. Cool SNOT design and very innovative shape. It reminded me vaguely of a much sleeker version of my own Confederate Antigrav Fighter. Your very cool creation might inspire me to make more ships with this shape. Thanx for sharing!

Love, Sylvi

Re: New MOC: Disc Racer
   In lugnet.announce.moc, Bram Lambrecht wrote:
   I took a break from studying midterms to build a small ship, somewhat inspired by an idea I posted in August.

   The Disc Racer

snipped
Wow!

I really liked this ship. Cool SNOT design and very innovative shape. It reminded me vaguely of a much sleeker version of my own Confederate Antigrav Fighter. Your very cool creation might inspire me to make more ships with this shape. Thanx for sharing!

Thanks! The circle is a fun form to try to work with, especially since it’s a bit of a challenge working with primarily rectangular parts.
--Bram

   Bram Lambrecht
www.bldesign.org

Re: New MOC: Disc Racer