 Announcements / 3145
3144  |  3146
Subject:
Pics from American International TOY FAIR(r) 2006
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.year.2006, lugnet.lego
Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 05:01:00 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I was fortunate enough to be invited to the Lego showroom preview event
at the LEGO showroom at 24th and Broadway, in NYC, as part of the 2006 American
International TOY FAIR,
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_International_Toy_Fair)  so naturally I
went... just like last year.

I uploaded a bunch of pics to BrickLink. They haven't been resized yet and may
have some miscategorization so I wouldn't rely on this folder name working
forever, I'll fix them up (probably) when I get time and at that time I will
delete the "raw" folders.  (HA! I never fixed up last years, so probably won't
do this years either) So if youi come on this a year later and can't find
them, walk the tree up and nose around, or start here:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=lar

Here's the current start folder. Not sure Kev has moderated everything yet.
Deeplinks won't help much since the pictures aren't really in numerical order.

Random comments. We already know about all the themes on preview here but
hopefully the pics give more detail than some of what we've seen so far. The
Sponge Bob sets are cute and I expect they will do very well! Batman also seems
a well rounded theme. The new technic sets seem very nice, I love the dragline
crane. It's smaller than minifig which is an interesting scale for Technic!

The new creator sets (especially mythical creatures, and the sports car) are
also quite nice. I don't know if I like the new motor/battery pack though.

I tried to get closeup pics of the NXT programming screen but it was too washed
out.

You are hereby warned, bandwidthwise... These images are massive, dialup users
should avoid. They haven't been rotated, cropped, resized, cleaned up, or
anything else either. There may be some blurry ones in there, sorry! But I
figure for getting a close look at stuff, the unresized ones are the best way to
go.

I'm going to Javits center tomorrow and will have more pics then, hopefully, but
they may not all be LEGO. I will also try to take some pics of the swag they
gave us.

Joe Meno and Jim Foulds were there as well, so hopefully they'll be sharing some
of their pics too.

I've also put my NYC prototype pics up on Maj for those interested. Lots of
subway stuff, and Queens neighborhoods (was rather taken with what Jonathan's
achieved and decided I wanted some proto stuff to help refine the look. Also the
queensboro terminal station is fascinating, it's two levels and tracks go in
about 5 directions) and just general walking around Manhattan stuff.

http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=106883 (Queens)
http://www.maj.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=106884 (Manhattan)

These have been resized downwards. I have the originals if anyone wants them...

++Lar