 Ambassadors / 386
Re: Poll for new Town Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Sun, 10 Feb 2008 20:14:50 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I appologize for the lateness of my response.  I have been extremely busy
lately.

Ben, thanks for responding.  After re-reading the posts, I felt that the
timeliness of my original post may have stepped on the toes of others.

Moving forward with it then, here are my suggestions for new town sets:
Post Office w/ Truck(s)
Bank w/ Armoured Truck
Pizza Place w/ Delivery Car
Motorcycle & ATV Dealership
Museum w/ Egyptian Display
Bus Station / Bus Stop w/ bus(es)
Intermodal Terminal

Lastly, I'd like to see an American firetruck instead of the European firetrucks
that have been made thus far.  I think that these would certainly do very well:
pump truck: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:NYFD.jpg>
ladder truck:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Dsg_Gainesville_Fire_Truck_20050507.jpg>

In all cases, I believe that Town sets need to be more unified.  Nearly all of
the sets produced in the last 10 years have been stand-alone buildings on
smaller 16x16 baseplates.  Most of us remember the late '80s catalogs that had
Town on the front cover.  It pictured multiple buildings all built on 32x32
baseplates that allowed them to be placed together with streets connecting them.
The advertisments pictured kids dreaming of having their own complete town
layout.

This dream of collecting all of the town sets to build my own town was the
reason that I became so envolved in LEGO as a kid.  This idea of building my own
layout of connecting buildings and streets, is what has led to my return to LEGO
as an adult.  The stand-alone buildings do not inspire collecting sets toward a
larger goal.  To me they reflect that these buildings are to be purchased,
built, played with for a short time, and then cast aside.  A goal of building;
not one building, but a town of buildings, will keep the dream alive, extend the
playing life of these sets, and energize customers toward collecting more sets.

Thanks again for listening,
Scott