 Ambassadors / 336
Re: Poll for new Town Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:55:35 GMT

In lugnet.ambassadors, Scott Lyttle wrote:
In lugnet.ambassadors, Scott Wardlaw wrote:
Dear Ambassadors,

It has been some time since there has been any kind of voting poll for new sets.
Now that the new 2008 sets have come out, it would be a good time to start
thinking of sets that people would like to see in the future.

I think that the LEGO Coummunity has a good feel for what would do well, and
they probably have some new ideas that have not been considered.

With the recent announcement of Tormod being appointed as Head of Coummunity
Development, do you think that gathering ideas for possible Town Sets for 2009
is a good idea?

Many Thanks,
Scott

Given that City is one of TLG's most popular lines (especially for 2007), and
seeing some of the new 2008 City product is not Police/Fire/Rescue, I'm all for
gathering ideas for new town sets for 2009.  I definitely think it's time to
bring girl builders into LEGO City/Town... (i.e. more girls, more houses, even
4-person cars, for starters...)  One suggestion...walk down a street, and do not
look at the houses or buildings--look at everything else, as it's those little
details that make the overall town "pop"... Newspaper machines, parking meters,
trash cans, benches, street lights, traffic/parking signs.

I think TLG is on this trend--look at Corner Cafe, Market Street, and the
upcoming set in the line.  Great detail, and it's all very inspiring!

I've got a few other ideas, but I can't make them too public just yet...

Scott Lyttle

As an avid train fan, the best town sets to me are those that can be used
interactively with a train layout.  With the decision to retire 9V trains, this
may be a poor time to ask for new train-related additions.  But, LEGO has
released few train-related buildings over the years, and it would certainly be a
great time to have another.

My first choice would be to see a sawmill set that could be used with or without
a train setup.  The addition of Power Functions motors and interactive features
would be nice although certainly not required.

It would also be great to offer some warehouses that could be used with rail
goods or with the current generation of "Cargo" themed sets.  A reissue of the
famed 1980s 6391 "Cargo Center" would be ideal, although it would also be
satisfying to see a set like this updated for the present "look" of the LEGO
City sets.  I love how this set in particular is hinged, allowing for two very
different looks of the same building.  This would be great to see in future town
sets. (it shows up in the filling station of the new Town Plan set!)

I think the current Creator house sets are filling the need for houses very
well.  I'm wondering, however, where those poor minifigs are going to find
something to eat.  I recall the early '90s "Ristorante" set, but I'm not sure
that there's been a dedicated restaurant or diner since then.  And there's never
been a grocery store - that could be a cool set. (I'm not sure if the rumored
"Green Grocer" upcoming set will fill this void)

And if LEGO ever reissues the Airport Shuttle...  well, let me know!  Hey, I can
wish...

-Jordan Schwarz