 Administrative / General / 8150
Re: My Stance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 00:51:13 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Kingsley writes:
2. I have accepted the fact that Matthew is going to be banned and I am OK
with that.  I just want to make sure everything has been thought through
first.  This is a precedent setting move and I think you (Todd) need to be
very careful in the way you handle the issue because people will refer back
to this discussion for years to come as other situations arrise.

It's very difficult -- and I'm not even going to try -- to sum everything up
in a nice simple pat statement (not that you're asking for one), since, to
various extents, I agree with almost everything that everyone here has said.
My opinions are most in line with these posts which stood out in my mind as
I got caught up on reading today:

   http://news.lugnet.com/off-topic/debate/?n=6688
   http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=8125
   http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=8016
   http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=8039
   http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=8060
   http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=8042
   http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=8000
   http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=8095
   http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=8100
   http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=8119

In terms of a bottom line, take the sandbox-in-the-backyard analogy.  "There's
always one in the crowd."  Occasionally there is just going to be some bully
or troublemaker in the neighborhood who simply refuses to play well with
others.  For whatever deep underlying reasons, they can't or don't want to
get along and clearly don't belong.  They can go start their own sandbox and
play in it and make up whatever rules best fit them.  Maybe others will go
join them...fine...not here.

At this time, Matthew is persona non grata.  Not for his opinions, not for
what he has on his website, and not for his being personally disliked by many
people, but for how he has intentionally disrupted peace and harmony, attacked
people, used foul language, made what are judged by many to be threats,
admitted that he plotted to cause a large commotion, and relished in self-
described past mischief elsewhere.  Those are things that this site is not
about.  Although we the community have generally been tolerant of a little
vitriol here and there, never before has someone calculatedly done so much
in such a short amount of time.

That's where things stand.

--Todd