 Administrative / General / 8095
Re: My Stance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 19:39:34 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Kingsley writes:
Now if it is decided to TOS Matthew based on his statements/threats made here
on LUGNET then Todd has that right but that doesn't mean he looses his site or
the ability to read LUGNET or to post to RTL (who would want to do that?).  I
have no problem TOSsing Matthew based on Todd's rules in LUGNETs TOS.  I have
a big problem however if Matthew was not allowed in the community based on the
content of his site.

In general, I agree with you.  However, Matthew used his website (in my
opinion) as a tool to damage and disrupt the community.  He crafted lies and
misdirections, then posted something designed to stand out and direct traffic
at his site.  I don't believe his apology is sincere.  He has said he will
tone down the commentary on his web page to accurately reflect his opinion,
but has not done so.  He has claimed (sorry, don't recall exactly which post)
that he's got other things he has to do before changing the things on his
webpage, but that's a hollow excuse.  He *HAS* updated his webpage, at least
once - there's new content there - but hasn't taken down or changed any of the
things he's claiming to apologize for.

I don't think Matthew should be banned for his opinions.

I don't think Matthew should be banned for whatever he feels like putting on
his webpage.

I don't think Matthew should be banned for his actual posts on Lugnet (there's
been worse offenders, IMHO).

I *do* think Matthew should be banned for his deliberate and malicious attack
on the Lego community, which he admitted to himself.

Like I said somewhere else, this probably makes me look like a jerk, but oh
well.

James