 Administrative / General / 8096
Re: My Stance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 19:40:32 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Joslin writes:
[...]
First, if Todd had cropped up in RTL and said "I'm going to make this site,
it'll be great, it'll be an online LEGO community and we can talk about LEGO
all day long" people probably would have told him "Hey, we have RTL, what do
we need that for?".  He didn't do it that way (as far as I know, although he
can correct me if I'm wrong).  He made the site, *then* told people about
it.

The first way is closer to what happened.  In November 1997, an announcement
was made to RTL of this: <http://www.lugnet.com/admin/plan/> and then
construction began.  There was some controversy and some disbelief but mostly
it either got ignored or people said "good luck."  I think the fundamental
important thing is simply commitment to a cause -- just keep plowing forward.

Ah.  Well, my point stands (as does yours)- you weren't greeted with showers
of roses and gold just because you stated your intentions for the site.  You
went ahead and built in anyway, and now you're King of the World (well, as soon
as we bump off James Cameron... if he's not going to make T3 *or* Spiderman,
what good is he?  True Lies 2... feh).

Actually, the more I think about it, apart from his idea about having current
sets' as well as older sets' instructions, I think having the instructions set
up to be viewed right way up, one step at a time could be really, really
useful.  I know that I have sets I don't have complete instructions for, and I
hate the idea of using the paper and ink to print out the instructions for one
or two builds.

eric