 Administrative / General / 8039
8038  |  8040
Subject:
In conclusion... (my stance hasn't changed)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 11:42:18 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, John Robert-Blaze Kanehl writes:

Todd,

I respect that you have the final "judgement" in this case.  I have accepted
that from day one here on Lugnet, so be it.  Discussion has gone on long
enough, almost as long or longer than the controversy.  It is time to put
this issue to rest and make a decision regarding Matt's posting priveledges.
There hasn't been an overwhelming, endless discussion of this issue by ALL
members/participants.  Fine by me.

Analyze the facts in anyway you see fit.  Render a decision and inform Matt
FIRST.  A memo briefly detailig the rulng is incumbant and should be made
forwith.

In parliamentary procedure, it is referred to as "calling the question."
You are chair and you decide whether the debate ends...and you decide the
outcome.

Please don't drag this process on any further.  Render a verdict (for lack
of a better term) and let's be done with this unfortunate episode.

I have SNIPped aspects of a previous post to highlight essential
issues...Please consider the WHOLE  thread as well as the following:

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Moulton writes:
First off I would like to publicly apologize to Jude.  I do that more
for Jude than I do for me.  I killed my emotions a long time ago, so
sometimes it's hard to remember that everyone else still feels them.

Well, theres a start.
An apology is only part of the act of contrition... one must strive to be
better.

The problem is these words of apology are hollow and devoid of meaning.

As this thread progresses into esoteric arguments of "precedent",
"open-mindedness", "forgiveness"...will you forget that Matt said:

I think the reason I picked Jude and the particular time was that if I
did it I wouldn't really be attacking anything.  Jude didn't have
anything on the webpage,

Poor excuse... flawed rationale ... "cruel joke"

Overall, a "stunt" that injured one person and angered others ... which has
been your stated intent.

As far as the rant on my site I saw myself doing
mostly the same thing.  Attacking what I considered to be the worst
designs.  That doesn't make it right either, but I felt that some
right may come of it in one form or another.  I mean to me a person
could attack the Behemoth on my site and I wouldn't mind.

I said the following because I don't think Matt grasps the concept of the
"sharing" and fairplay" atmosphere...

This is an inefficient, negative, anti-social, destructive form of
feedback/communication that destroys the objectives of the community.

That's the point .... No one would "attack" it.
There is a school of thought that all art, progress, and technological
advancement are born of conflict, suffering, and war.  To an extent, some of
that is true.

HOWEVER,

Lugnet is not a place I go to indulge self-righteous narcissism, conduct
experiments in social Darwinism or expound the Neitchean virtues of "what
doesn't kill you, makes you stronger".

(been there, did that in the 'hood)

The above comment on experiments is expounded upon, revelled in, and worn as
a badge of honor in later thread posts.  When Matt decides to "experiment"
in Lugnet...will it be for "righteous" and "altruistic reasons? (AND I MEAN
WHEN)

I know others disagree with me on that and
I know that my opinions have the ability to hurt feelings.

He admits that he KNOWS he is out of line
(i.e. makes a conscious/deliberate decision)

I think the following exchange says it all:

Again, I
am sorry for that, I do not want to cause hurt feelings.  However I am
not sorry for what my actions caused.

^^^^THE ABOVE STATEMENT SAYS IT ALL!^^^^
(the most compelling reason why Matt should not have his posting priveledges
reinstated.... EVER)

I can not vehemently highlight Matt's pathos above enough...read it. Think
about it.  Do you think this will ever end?

You have made a public apology (for jude's sake?), but you are not sorry?
(remember that contrition requires acknowledgement of the transgression, an
apology for the damage caused, and a pledge to yourself and the community
not do it again)

If you are not sorry, then you are merely giving lipservice to your apology.
In essence, your apology means nothing if you do not acknowledge you are
wrong AND sorry.

Is this type of "apology" acceptable in your family, from your spouse, or in
your workplace?

Can you say "I am sorry" and "I am not going to change," anywhere in the
"real 3-d world" and maintain credibility?

Yes I was rude, yes I was
brash, yes I was opinionated, what did it bring?  A closer look at
yourselves.

Examine the first sentence VERY carefully...Notice a continuous pattern of
stating hurtful, wrong, bad, anti-social behavior... with no remorse
whatsoever...a cogniscient admonission that is is patently wrong... then
justifying it with a cliche', platitude, back-peddle, anecdote, etc.

Do you all want more of this style of "reform"?

It is possible to discuss the elephant in the room without kicking it...You
never tried.

You pulled a stunt for the purpose of stirring up controversy (similar to the
one in rtl awhile ago, that you still brag about all over usenet)

I'm not going to lie to you, many people do not see me as
a nice person, I try to get people to think differently and sometimes
my methods are very fringe.  Did I deserve to get banned?

YES! Why is this so hard to comprehend?

Scott A. brings up interesting questions about past conduct by other members
of LUGNET.  Those cases may very well raise valid issues.  Apparently no
ruling was made in a timely fashion, so be it.  Does that mean Matt should
be cannonized as a saint or 'cut some slack"?...NO. Does that justify not
making a decision on this issue or sanctioning this offender...I think not.
I admire Scott's patience and open-minded nature on this topic.  However,  I
strongly Disagree.   AS soon as Matt discussed his past behavior, it became
relevant...

Read his dissertation on how he "destroyed" people and groups he deemed
worthy of annihilation.

I stand by my assessment of Matt:

For 3 years you have travelled from one end of the internet to the other
building a reputation that is offensive by the most liberal of thinkers (how
many isps, name changes, scams, troll posts, stunts, wars, etc.?)  Well, you
only get one reputation in this life...LIVE WITH YOURS...enjoy it, but not here.

I knew what such
an action could bring, it was my choice, I have to face the
consequences for it.

If he is the cyber-ghandhi/batman that he espouses to be...

LIVE WITH YOUR CHOICE, if you are a true martyr and not a coward.  Have the
courage of your convictions.  Stand up for what you believe in...and leave.

All of life's decisions have consequences ... < Matt > you lack the maturity to live
with yours, it seems.

These are the FACTS, as I see them.  I may be mistaken.  This is Todd's
call, I realize that completely.  I think that all of thepreceding posts,
and particularly Matt's own words should be read carefully.  I stand by my
earlier assessment after hearing ABSOLUTLEY no compelling argument from any
other member and especially from Matt:

You are manipulative and disengenuous
You ARE disrespectful
You lack maturity
You don't play well with the other children ...
Your attitude is negative
You show no remorse
You have ingendered much ill-will that CAN'T be undone
You have made threats against this community + Todd

Are any of the above statements inaccurate so as to justify Matt's continued
"contribution" here?

                     John