 Administrative / General / 8038
Re: My Stance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 08:52:57 GMT

Matthew wrote:

On Fri, 20 Oct 2000 05:28:34 GMT, "Ka-On Lee" <ko_lee@yahoo.com>
wrote:
I remember when I first learned about the Lego community on
the Inet.  I remember that I wanted so bad to be able contribute
something.  I wanted to be something really great, do great things,
help out.  So I came up with all these ideas that I wanted to do.  And
I jumped right into RTL and proposed my ideas.  I got no enthusiasm,
the entire reaction I got was, well, we already have some resources
like these, and we don't need you, or anything you can contribute.

I empathize with you completely.  When I came to LUGNET in March
I also had a lot of ideas that I was all excited about, and most
of the time I was told that something was already in the works,
there wasn't any interest, or whatever.  I do think it's funny that
the stuff that was supposedly under development is still non-existent,
but that's OK.

I've also seen it in the Open Source community.  I made some significant
patches to a certain software program that many people wanted to see
integrated, but the maintainer didn't want to deal with it so it died.
Same thing happened with another package, and now that developer wants
to list NCSA as a possible partner for NSF funding.  Tough noogies to
him!  :)

Now if I feel that I'm not invited to participate, I either

   a) go and start a competing project if I feel I can do it better
   b) go find a different project to contribute to

It took a while, but I learned over time that I can't let my happiness
rely on other people.  I need to make my own happiness, so if
someone doesn't want to play with me, I'm not going to waste my
time on them.

I'm not saying anything about any of the people here.  This is just
a lesson that I've learned over time, and if it's applicable, great.
If not, oh well.  :)

Chris