 Administrative / General / 8042
Re: My Stance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:55:55 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Moulton writes:
On Fri, 20 Oct 2000 05:28:34 GMT, "Ka-On Lee" <ko_lee@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Remember all these?
http://www.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/threadmsg_ct.xp?AN=525261505

Yes I do.  I remember when I first learned about the Lego community on
the Inet.  I remember that I wanted so bad to be able contribute
something.  I wanted to be something really great, do great things,
help out.  So I came up with all these ideas that I wanted to do.  And
I jumped right into RTL and proposed my ideas.  I got no enthusiasm,
the entire reaction I got was, well, we already have some resources
like these, and we don't need you, or anything you can contribute.
That made me very angry and that is the reason I flamed at that
particular point in time.  I wanted something so badly that I was
willing to try and do the impossible, instead all a got were people
laughing in my face telling me I was nothing.  Like someone mentioned
earlier, it was that elitist attitude that caused me to fight back the
way I did.  And for that I am not sorry, I was hurt then in a way that
has stayed with me and affected me ever since.  It took me a long time
to generate enough self esteem to put together my own web page and
realize that I was important, that I could contribute something, even
if some people didn't respect it.

Matt,

You're going to take this as some kind of slam, or some kind of flame, but it's
not intended as one, really.  Try to keep that in mind as you read it.

I've read pretty much every post resulting from your initial posts of a few
days ago.  I read Jude's post and I followed the link, and to be honest I
thought "huh.  Not much here.  Oh well" and moved on.  I read your post
slamming it, and I though "Jesus, that was rude", and I moved on.

And, as I said, I read pretty much every post since.

What you allude to above is a pretty common theme in your posts- that you felt
like an outsider, and you felt ridiculed, and you felt like people weren't
taking you seriously.  That people made you feel like "nothing".  I have two
pieces of advice for you:

First, if Todd had cropped up in RTL and said "I'm going to make this site,
it'll be great, it'll be an online LEGO community and we can talk about LEGO
all day long" people probably would have told him "Hey, we have RTL, what do we
need that for?".  He didn't do it that way (as far as I know, although he can
correct me if I'm wrong).  He made the site, *then* told people about it.  As
far as I know, the same goes for Brickshelf.  Kevin made it, *then* told people
about it.  People are always going to be skeptical of what the computer
industry calls "vaporware"... something that you talk about, but doesn't exist.
It's just human nature.  If you have a great idea for a website, build it, and
*then* expect kudos, not the other way around.

Second, and more seriously... why do you care about what people you have never
even met think of you?  I know it's never fun to feel like an outsider (trust
me, I *know* that) but when it comes down to it, we're just a bunch of people
you'll probably never meet "in real life".  What we think of you, based on the
few things we see you post, shouldn't affect you so much that you get this full
of anger over it.

At this point, I don't really care if you stay here or leave, whether it's of
your own free will or if it's by Todd's decision, but I do hope that you find a
way to work through whatever it is that causes you so large an amount of pain
over something as relatively trivial as the whims of people on the internet.

Actually, scratch what I said above.  You seem like a bright guy, and you
definitely have a passion for the brick.  If you can let go of some of that
anger you're feeling, and realise that you don't need us to validate your work,
or your ideas, or what have you, then I hope you *do* stay, because you could
easily be a valuable member of the community.

But start pulling any crap like you did the other day, and I'll be one of the
first ones calling for your (virtual) blood.

eric