 Administrative / General / 8053
Re: My Stance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 15:35:14 GMT

Lorbaat wrote in message ...

Matt,

You're going to take this as some kind of slam, or some kind of flame, but • it's
not intended as one, really.  Try to keep that in mind as you read it.

I've read pretty much every post resulting from your initial posts of a few
days ago.  I read Jude's post and I followed the link, and to be honest I
thought "huh.  Not much here.  Oh well" and moved on.  I read your post
slamming it, and I though "Jesus, that was rude", and I moved on.

And, as I said, I read pretty much every post since.

What you allude to above is a pretty common theme in your posts- that you • felt
like an outsider, and you felt ridiculed, and you felt like people weren't
taking you seriously.  That people made you feel like "nothing".  I have • two
pieces of advice for you:

First, if Todd had cropped up in RTL and said "I'm going to make this site,
it'll be great, it'll be an online LEGO community and we can talk about • LEGO
all day long" people probably would have told him "Hey, we have RTL, what • do we
need that for?".  He didn't do it that way (as far as I know, although he • can
correct me if I'm wrong).  He made the site, *then* told people about it. • As
far as I know, the same goes for Brickshelf.  Kevin made it, *then* told • people
about it.  People are always going to be skeptical of what the computer
industry calls "vaporware"... something that you talk about, but doesn't • exist.
It's just human nature.  If you have a great idea for a website, build it, • and
*then* expect kudos, not the other way around.

Second, and more seriously... why do you care about what people you have • never
even met think of you?  I know it's never fun to feel like an outsider • (trust
me, I *know* that) but when it comes down to it, we're just a bunch of • people
you'll probably never meet "in real life".  What we think of you, based on • the
few things we see you post, shouldn't affect you so much that you get this • full
of anger over it.

At this point, I don't really care if you stay here or leave, whether it's • of
your own free will or if it's by Todd's decision, but I do hope that you • find a
way to work through whatever it is that causes you so large an amount of • pain
over something as relatively trivial as the whims of people on the • internet.

Actually, scratch what I said above.  You seem like a bright guy, and you
definitely have a passion for the brick.  If you can let go of some of that
anger you're feeling, and realise that you don't need us to validate your • work,
or your ideas, or what have you, then I hope you *do* stay, because you • could
easily be a valuable member of the community.

But start pulling any crap like you did the other day, and I'll be one of • the
first ones calling for your (virtual) blood.

eric

Wery well said(written), this is exactly what i was intending to say, but
cannot since I lack the words.
I'll just tag along with yours, is this is ok for you? *sheepish look*
/Joakim