 Western/Wild West / 467
Re: Its alive...ITS ALIVE!!!!!!! (shoutouts)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.western
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 17:29:01 GMT

In lugnet.western, Jon Furman writes:
Woohoo!  The life is back in the WW newsgroup!!  I love you guys.  Nate,
Joel, Dave Little, Greg, and the rest of you!  Every day I check this group
and pray for new posts, and bang, today is my lucky day!

Thank you Jon - your enthusiasm has helped to whip up additional interest in
me for the Western theme.  I "went West" initially due to my interest in
putting together some Confederate troops.  From there I started to try and
scrounge up a few Union soldiers for my boys to whup up on.

Previously, I had bought a couple of the smaller sets that I had seen on
clearance (Indian Chief and Frontier Patrol*).  I then stumbled across a
Bandit's Secret Hideout set on K-Mart clearance.  Once I've started really
studying the various mini-figs (faces and clothing) I became more and more
interested in pursuing further sets.  I've added a couple of of the Indian
sets (which I've expressed big appreciation of previously in this forum) and
now I'm totally hooked.

What I need to do now (that's I've amassed a decent collection) is start
building a Western setting so I can get in on the fun.

(snipped some stuff related to Nate's great pictures)

  Greg, Thanks for the tip about Tuesday Morning.  They are quite sparse
here in the northwest, so I'll have to get over there right away.  That
Gabarro face is perfect for rough and tumble baddies.

You're welcome - I hit another T.M. yesterday after our RichLUG meeting and
managed to grab another 11 copies of the 5902 set.  I'm slowing building up
to battalion strength!

  Joel, I loved the Looney tunes references. I laughed pretty hard at the
acme stuff.  I never realized how much of an influence those roadrunner
cartoons had on my idea of what the desert should look like.

I didn't post in the other thread but I do want to add my praise to the
others for the desert setting with the orange bricks.  Awesome!  I also dug
the Road Runner references.

I've just now started posting what I've been working on for about 6months,
so there is a lot of stuff going up right now.  I've been super busy with
work, so this is the first chance I've had to post.  I'm a little
overwhelmed by the response to the pirate village, but I'm excited about the
WW possibilities.  Those pumpkin packs are only 9 bucks, and that a lot of
parts.  using those pieces should really spice up the Native american sets!
Lets keep up the chatter in the ww!   Jon

Thanks again for sharing the pictures - both sets (pirate village and
desert) were brill and very inspirational.  I think I'm going to go ahead
and order some of those orange bricks too - even though my primary purpose
would be to have the material to build my BBQ restaurant (based on local
chain that has an orange/yellow/black color scheme) it will be cool to have
them for Western scenes too.  That just made the thought pop into my mind
that a huge collection of colored bricks (particularly in pastel shades)
could be used to build a painted desert scene - who's up for that challenge?

Finally - I'll try and do my part to keep the chattering going.

G.

*I bought a couple of the Frontier Patrol's for a couple of bucks apiece on
TRU clearance.  Boy do I wish I'd scooped up all they had now that I want to
build an army and find that sellers want 10 or 12 bucks for these sets.  Oh
well, such is the life of a brickhead - I guess I can dream of Fort Legoredo
being on of the classic set re-issues in the future.