 Trains / Train Organizations / 1572
Re: Are LEGO "Train" Clubs endanger of becoming LEGO "Town" Clubs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 16:33:48 GMT

"James J. Trobaugh" wrote:

Are LEGO "Train" Clubs endanger of becoming LEGO "Town" Clubs? I have notice
that over the past 6 months or so that much of the talk and pictures from
LTCs has been more of non-train related town structures than of engines,
rolling stock and train related facilities.

This isn't directly related to this discussion but it is relevant to what our
club (VLC) is experiencing right now. Our club is a general club, not a train
club. We have a few dedicated Train members (Myself included) and several people
that enjoy doing 'town' related items. Recently we have been doing 'train shows'
to get our notoriety up. So we can pull in more members (We hope anyway. Right
now it's just 8 serious members (out of 15?) that make things happen.) However
most of our club have diverse interests, we have robotics, space, Castle (Ninja
etc) & town and trains. After doing our second show we realized that our other
members were feeling left out and in some cases drifting away.

So in our case, yes,  I think that you must be careful not to lose sight of what
brought everyone together and not to get trapped in the Trains & Town only
stuff. Trains is the easiest 'theme' to show off because of all the train shows,
but we want to do more. We'd like to show off all aspects of our LEGO hobbies.
We are now hoping we can do other displays that involve aspects from all sides.

Myself I'm pretty lucky, what I like to do is automation and movement. In our
last show I created all the programs and sensors to run 4 RCX's and many great
items. Gondola, Hogwarts Control system, Train Crossing, Trolley and the Drive
in theater.  For an upcoming show I want to build a 'Kids Control Area' (KCA)
that will allow people to select what train they want to have go around the
track, trolleys to go to station X etc. (All safely!) For myself it's the
challenge and the reward that makes it all worth while. But I digress...

In the end you've all got to have fun. That's the bottom line is it not?

Dean
--
Dean Husby
LUGNET Member #320