 Trains / Train Organizations / 1571
Re: Are LEGO "Train" Clubs endanger of becoming LEGO "Town" Clubs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 16:21:20 GMT

Point well taken James, but i think we should look at it another way also.
Trains don't exist in a vacuum, the town and environs really set the time
period and overall look of the entire layout. When non-train or lego buffs
see the layout (especially the kids) they are not really enthused with the
detail on any one item in particular it is the size and scale of the entire
layout that keeps them entertained.

I don't think that lego train clubs are much different that normal train
clubs in this matter either. Looking back over past shows, NGLTC has more
track per scale and table size than just about any other layout. I have seen
Z scale trains with more square footage and less track than we haveSo i
think that NGLTC is doing better than most train clubs of any type.

I think it is a good problem to have. Most non-lego train buffs buy engines
and cars and make modifications. Basically scenery is almost all regular
trains clubs have. Lego adds the ability to have completely custom trains,
which make Lego even better.

In short, i think that trains should be the focus. Most buildings should be
train centric, but not all. I think we have a good mix.

In lugnet.trains.org, James Trobaugh writes:
Are LEGO "Train" Clubs endanger of becoming LEGO "Town" Clubs? I have notice
that over the past 6 months or so that much of the talk and pictures from
LTCs has been more of non-train related town structures than of engines,
rolling stock and train related facilities. I don't know if this is just a
trend as people are inspired by other's creations or if it's becoming the
new focus of the LTCs and the trains are just the props on the layouts. As
the layouts grow larger and more organized it's easy to see that there is
more real-estate to cover and train structures alone don't always fill the
gaps. I worry that a lot of the focus of the LTCs gets lost when the town
becomes the emphasis over the trains.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not accusing one group over the other, and I'm
not excluding our local LTC from this either. I'm just wondering what others
think about it. Has anyone else noticed this trend or is it just me?

jt
--
James J. Trobaugh
North Georgia LEGO Train Club