 Trains / Train Organizations / 1570
Re: Are LEGO "Train" Clubs endanger of becoming LEGO "Town" Clubs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 16:03:00 GMT

James and All,

Are LEGO "Train" Clubs endanger of becoming LEGO "Town" Clubs? I have notice
that over the past 6 months or so that much of the talk and pictures from
LTCs has been more of non-train related town structures than of engines,
rolling stock and train related facilities.

Well, I am talking from a MichLUG view, and the layouts I have seen at the
shows, and of the various clubs who have had pictures and the like up.

I don't think you can have an effective layout without some kind of scenery.
If you had a roundhouse, a bunch of track, and a lot of different trains, it
is all well and good, but it is rather boring (Unless you look solely at the
trains). I remember many layouts at the train show that had just tracks and
train, and outside of running the trains, it was boring, and the lack of
audience was apparent. I am not cutting them down in any way, just my
observations.

Most people loved our displays because of the bunch of different things, the
trains, the roundhouse, the bridges, the buildings, little scenes, vehicles,
airport. People loved watching the monorail go thorough various buildings.
Children love seeing all that stuff. I go for the "Wow!" effect, and I think
that is what is important. MichLUG's first layout was not great train
layout, IMHO. Thanks to new members, I think our second one was a awesome
train & town layout,a nd that is why we got 1st place.

Now, in the train aspect, I want to do more train stuff. Before the 9V
trains, I would have never got into trains at all. Since I finally have time
to build after years of work and school, I am planning more. I am doing
research, looking at pictures, etc. I want to build both a CN and a GT
engine and supporting train cars, and maybe a real Amtrak train. I am also
in the planning stages for a 6 large gray baseplate train / monorail
station, since I always wanted to build one, and I have a desire to do
something like that. I think as time goes on, you will see bigger and better
displays, with expansion in both the town and the train aspect.

So in conclusion, I think Town and Train are one in the same, and I think to
make an effective layout you need both. Sometimes, depending on the group
and people, you might have more than another.

I think the most important things for any LTC club is to
1) Use LEGO products
2) Have fun!

Anyway, it is a good question, and an interesting one to ponder.

Scott S.