 Trains / Train Organizations / 1569
Re: Are LEGO "Train" Clubs endanger of becoming LEGO "Town" Clubs?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 15:39:46 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, James Trobaugh writes:
Are LEGO "Train" Clubs endanger of becoming LEGO "Town" Clubs? I have notice
that over the past 6 months or so that much of the talk and pictures from
LTCs has been more of non-train related town structures than of engines,
rolling stock and train related facilities.

Interesting question!

I'm not sure how to answer it, though...

As the GMLTC (slowly!) works on its new layout, we're building a lot of
buildings for our 'downtown' area.  Are we putting a lot of effort into them?
Yep - but we put a lot of effort into everything we do.  Are we building a lot
of them?  Yep - the more we can squeeze into our limited space, the more
interesting it will look.  Most of our buildings have detailed interiors,
including some rather "interesting" little scenes.  ("No, Mr. Bond.  I expect
you to DIE.")

But, the biggest, and most impressive (we hope!) building will be the train
station.  The two mainline train tracks run right along the front edge of the
layout, so they're right out in front where people can see them.

My thought:  Trains run through towns, and trains run through 'rural' areas.
Sure, seeing a train run past endless fields or through a thick forest is
impressive, but how interesting would that look on a model-train scale?  If I
built an HO scale layout that had 50 foot sections of wheat fields, it would be
somewhat closer to real world proportions, but it sure would be boring to look
at.  If I built a 5 foot wheat field, with some farm buildings, maybe transition
into a river valley and a small town - that's a lot of things to see in the same
area.

I think all the LTC layouts I've seen so far are doing just that:  Trying to
squeeze as many interesting things into a limited space.  I think we will all
continue to do that, too - give the general public so many different things to
see that they can't see them all.  Heck, we (some of the GMLTC folks) were
looking at some of the pictures I took last weekend of the PNLTC layout at
Carlsbad, and I was noticing things in the pictures that I had not noticed when
I was there.  I was walking around that layout for over 6 *hours* on Friday and
Saturday - and I still didn't see it all!

Details are good.  Funny little things are good.  Mini-figs doing things are
good.  Telling stories is good.  Variety is VERY good.  Building town stuff is a
good way to have things *happening* on the layout - making it 'active' instead
of 'static'.

JohnG, GMLTC