 Trains / Train Organizations / 1461
Re: UKLTC has arrived
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:59:13 GMT

Katie Dokken wrote:

In lugnet.trains.org, Harvey Henkelman writes:

Kyle, you hit the nail right on the head. When I conceived of the ELTC, I
invited people to join knowing that membership is their choice. I intended
ELTC to supplement LUGNET, not replace it in any way (God knows my
website-making skills are nowhere near Todd and Suzanne's) and I find
Yahoo's arrangement to be comfortable with me also. I just list the ELTC and
LUGNET.trains in my favorites and it's that simple. -Harvey

Harvey,

I don't see a problem with ELTC!  In fact I already joined.  What's wrong with
having multiple groups on different things?

I guess I'm not really looking for an argument here, but just to point out that
we *already* have "multiple groups on different things" right here on LUGNet--
that's kinda the whole point of the LUGNet NGs, isn't it (as opposed to 1 noisy
group like RTL).

Actually, the danger LUGNet always faces is becoming *too* compartmentalized, as
so richly observed by one critic ("a bunch of compartmentalized dorks" IIRC?)

I belong to so many different
groups.  Some are list serves, some are Yahoo groups, some are Smart groups.
And no one group is taking away from another one.  I think they all compliment
each other.

Sure, they all compliment each other *for you*.  What about others?  No one on
LUGNet will be able to benefit from profundities you utter in a private group--
unless of course you double post, which would then be redundant.  As a whole,
separate groups such as yahoo, etc divide up AFOLs.  The beauty of LUGNet is
that, although it is compartmentalized, it is also accessible by anyone wishing
to chime in or just lurk.  I may be interested in what is discussed in the ELTC,
but I'm afraid that there is no way that I'm going to subscribe to another
group-- it's just too fragmented for me.  I suspect that there are others who
feel the same way, and that would be a pity.

Is it even possible to have too many places to talk about Lego??

Absolutely.  What if each NG on LUGNet were a separate yahoo group?  Would it be
the same?  Not at all.  Faced with that scenario, I'd opt for the wasteland of
RTL, because at least everyone would be *together*.

It reminds me of when I first discovered RTL.  Before that, I thought I was the
only adult in the world into LEGO.  What a mind-blowing experience it was to find
the PNLTC and LUGNet!  And that is the coolest thing about LUGNet: it is a
central place to *interact with other AFOLs*.

Sure, you can start up yahoo groups, but only because you know that LUGNet is
there for you as well-- but in the end, it is that kind of an attitude that
erodes at the unity of the AFOL community.

Just my opinion which isn't even worth .02,

John

JMHO,

Katie