 Trains / 8735
Re: Scale - it's all in the aspect ratio
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 21:56:42 GMT

Wouldn't LEGO models look more like wide gauge trains?  If they were narrow, • the
trains would have to be the size of G scale (although something tells me we • are
not on the same page here).

Example:  If I wanted to model, say 30" gauge, I would build my train 14 wide • or
so, no?

-J-2
Yep, although the aspect ratio starts to come into play, for _any_ railway,
about 3:1 width of stock:track is maximum ratio for comfortable running.  (for
example on 7.x" track, a 20" wide loco/car is about as wide as is comfortable
to drive...without too much rocking & rolling).  So, practically, one is
limited to about 12 studs wide on Lego track (although 14 would probably work
fine too...)

James