 Trains / 8731
Re: Scale - it's all in the aspect ratio
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 20:10:25 GMT

James Powell wrote:

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

1) Rail width

Good way IMO to determine scale.  We know that proto is 4' 8 1/2" and so it's
easy to figure out.

No.  We know that most of _continental europe, the UK and North America_ are
4-8-1/2".

However, there is a lot of narrow gauge stuff around, and a fair
amount of broad gauge too.  All of Russia is 5' something. Africa is mostly
3'6", Australia is 5' something, 4-8-1/2 and 3 something, India is 5'6" or NG
(750mm often)

So, where do we pick for the Lego company to have based its trains on?
Anything from 15" (R&ER/RD&HR) to 7'1/4" is possible as track gauge.  I would
say wider than 4-8-1/2,because a lying minifig goes most of the way between the
tracks, so if we take 4 1/3 bricks high=6ft, then the gauge is broad, not
narrow, even though the models look like narrow gauge models (the Lego ones) to
my eyes.

Wouldn't LEGO models look more like wide gauge trains?  If they were narrow, the
trains would have to be the size of G scale (although something tells me we are
not on the same page here).

Example:  If I wanted to model, say 30" gauge, I would build my train 14 wide or
so, no?

-J-2

James