 Trains / 8732
Re: Stop the 8 Wide Insanity!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 20:19:27 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
Okay, I am going to cease and desist on the topic of 8 wide, maybe
forever, if all you naysayers would just consider this:

-8 wide is no different in scale than 6 wide-- same minifig, same track.

Correction, 8 wide is the same gauge but either represents stock
proportionally larger to the gauge or is a different "scale". However there
is no "LEGO scale" so your assertion is technically of null semantic
content.

I would argue that they are the same scale, based on the minifig.  It's just
that 6 wide is compressed widthwise, which is different than it being a
different scale.

But, as this imprecision from you is normal (c.f. .debate) <grin>,
we know what you MEANT even if you couldn't state it clearly.

-8 wide is plain and simply 6 wide plus a row of 1xs on either side of
whatever you are building.  That's all.  No mystery.  No need to move
into a larger house.

-All 8 wide does is give you 2 more studs worth of interior design space
and provide a more prototypical look on the outside.  Does not induce
bankruptcy.

Except for the "does not induce bankrupcy" (which isn't true, even for 6
wide trains, as we all know)

I stand corrected:-)

none of these assertions are in dispute. What I
dispute is whether lobbying for a change in Official TLG sets to 8 wide as
the primary, or even *a* main focus of lobbying efforts is reasonable,
prudent, and necessary.

I never said I was trying to lobby TLC-- maybe the troops of LTDs....

It's not.  It's not reasonable, it's not prudent, and it's not necessary.

I can, at the same time, marvel at what people can create in 8 wide (and 6
wide and 4 wide and 2 wide and 14 wide, etc.) and still think that there are
much much much more important things to try to convince the Powers That Be
at TLG of.

Things we've named off such as fixing the track geometry, getting DCC
*right*, moving to run of the mill cars and accessories instead of just
bizarre things like trainwash, getting a good line of powered accessories,
etc, etc, etc...

And more generic things too, like improving the bulk offerings and pricing,
implementing the "custom" set thingie (whatever it is) properly,
discontinuing the practice of symmetric parts that lock you into a width,
etc, etc, etc...

These are ALL more important than your pet hobby horse.

BION, 8 wide isn't my chief concern.  I have other issues which I care much
more deeply about.  As far as 8 wide goes, I just don't want TLC to design 6
wide specific parts which categorically limits builders to toywide.

And the more you
push that hobby horse the sillier it makes you look and the more credibility
you lose with some. Including me.

Maybe I get a little passionate <shrug>

-J-2

++Lar