 Trains / 8706
8705  |  8707
Subject:
Scale - it's all in the aspect ratio
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 05:40:25 GMT

So, I have been reading posts and thinking about tight curves vs large
layouts vs long train cars... here's some thoughts to react to...

There seems to be several ways to skin this cat. You can determine gauge by
starting with:
1) Rail width
2) Rail radius or Max train car length (My rule of thumb is, if your looking
straight down and you can see the inner rail on the outside of the train car
then it's too long).
3) Minifig or Train windows/doors

Each starting point will dictate the other parameters, and contradict the
other starting points.

I kinda like long passenger coaches, so I tend to use 1x4x2 windows. I even
played with using use black bricks for windows and tried 4 plates x 3 studs.
Essentially shrinking the scale and keeping the coaches a reasonable length;
the profile aspect ratio.

As for 8 wide. Do what you will. To me it's all about side profile (length
vs height) and very little to do with width. When I set out to build a new
train I build a one side wall first, iterating on color scheme, striping and
window placements.

SteveB