 Trains / 8741
Re: Scale - it's all in the aspect ratio
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 01:05:44 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes:
No.  We know that most of _continental europe, the UK and North America_ are
4-8-1/2".  However, there is a lot of narrow gauge stuff around, and a fair
amount of broad gauge too.  All of Russia is 5' something. Africa is mostly
3'6", Australia is 5' something, 4-8-1/2 and 3 something, India is 5'6" or NG
(750mm often)

Just for the record, Australia has an Interstate network of 4'8-1/2", and
state networks of 4'8-1/2" (New South Wales, South Australia), 3'6"
(Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania) and 5'3"
(Victoria, South Australia)