 Trains / 8053
Re: Acela ver2: Magnetic nose coupler
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 00:10:43 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Holger Matthes writes:
Hi James,

just checking the news before I will leave tomorrow....

I have wanted to do this ever since modeling the TGV.  It is tough enough to
get a few orange pieces.  Even tougher to get enough orange for the TGV that • I
built.  Then, to want to build a second orange TGV!  I'm sure some LEGO fans
have many more orange pieces than I have.  My 5-car orange TGV consumed 5
Target Halloween buckets, two Star Wars EP1 Pod Racer sets, and 6 Star Wars
Snow Speeder sets.  And, this doesn't count the window elements nor the gray
roof elements....  I digress, sorry.

What could I do with 2 Snowspeeders, 4 Pumkins (all bricks are 2-wide ;-(( )
the artic headquarter and the superb Podracer Set?? I think I have to work it
out!!

I wanted to buy the 3171 Pumpkins set from S@H, but seeing that all bricks are
2-wide, I have hesitated.  That is good, because I should not spend the money!

Just look for good real life objects colored orange ;-)

I have seen Maerklin models that are orange.  Particularly a switch engine.
With orange "left over" pieces, I tried this:
http://www.ee.nmt.edu/~jmathis/orangeswitcher.html
It is terribly simple.  Almost ugly and painfully plain with respect to other
switch engines that I have seen others create.

Is there a German DB commuter train that is white with an orange stripe?

Picking an easier color, one can make more similar trains to put • nose-to-nose.
Dave VinZant chose an easier color for his TGV:  gray, blue, and black.  The
latest version of his TGV ran at the PNLTC world record track length event.
Here's an old picture:
http://members.nbci.com/legotrains/tgv.htm

Thanks for the link! I remeber the blue-grey TGV: I Think there is also a
double-decker TGV???

Yes, there is.  It looks very beautiful.  I saw it last year when in France
during my honeymoon.  I did not get to ride on it.  :-(

Like your red DB double-decker (I use such a train twice
day - good feeling for a comuter-train!!). But I don't like the LEGO-Train
nose! I looks to much like LEGO-Sets to me...

I have seen a tilting LEGO-train somewhere. Is that the dutch page?? I will
check it later! And DB runs some slower tilting trains too! But they hat much
much trouble with the tilting technology!! I think it's an italian technology?

Yes, Eric Brok's is a Dutch page.
I believe it is Italian technology.  I think I read that fact a few days ago.
I rode the Italian "pendular" set as the Cisalpino from Milan, Italy to
Montreax (spelling?), Switzerland.  Again, a LEGO model I have built, but
without the complexity of the tilting mechanism.  :-(

For you and me, I do not propose a tilting train.  Rather, I address your
question, "ICE 2 or ICE 3"?
I have seen pictures of the ICE "T" (tilting ICE) and ICE diesel.  They look
very similar to the ICE 3, but are not so sharp at the front.
Maybe you would like to model the ICE "T"?

I thought of the ICE 2 which is run as nose-to-nose train. Comeing from two
different dirctions and leaving for the same direction!! It's so smouth when
the real ones get together!!

Go for building the ICE 2 if that is your preference.  You may not like the use
of a LEGO "train nose piece", but I am wondering if LEGO's next train set might
use a new special-use train "nose" piece.  But, this begins speculation and
leads to discussions of "what is the future of LEGO trains?"...a topic for
another post that is exhausting.

later,
James Mathis