 Trains / 8025
Re: Acela ver2: Magnetic nose coupler
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 22:59:33 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
Okay, I've had it-- James, your designs are so cool and innovative that it
kills
me to see you building 6 wide instead of 8!!  All I can think about is what
you
would be able to do with the added freedom of building 8 wide.   Won't you
please
try building something 8 wide, just for the fun of it ?  Try it, you'll like
it!
[1]

In Awe,
John

[1] Any Alka-Seltzer fans out there who haven't forgotten that one?

I remember "Try it, you'll like it!"  Funny :-)

There are reasons, however silly or irrelevant they may be, that I build six
wide.
Here are some that I can think of (not necessarily in any order of importance
nor significance):

1. LEGO releases sets that are six wide => I build six wide to "fit-in" with
that LEGO "standard".  I have in the past had the ideal that I should try to
build set that "kids" would enjoy playing with.  I used to tote my models over
to a family friend's house to let their kids play with them.  I'd then get to
see the "wow" factor, the "toughness" factor, and the "playability" factor.  I
would then redesign according to the outcome.

2. I like the constraint of six wide.  Hmm, rather I like the challenge of 6
wide.  There is certainly freedom in every construction, regardless of build
width.  The 2 wides and 4 wides have shown to me that modeling knows no bound
but that of the imagination...and brick-size resolution.  But, anyway, the
level of detail and the resolution afforded by 6 wide is appealing to me.

3. Piece count:  I think that a move to 8 wide requires more pieces. (duh)  The
reward to go 8 wide may be greater resolution in surface contours and features,
but the price to be paid is in greater piece-count.  I may have quite a
collection of pieces, but I would rather spread them over more models.
(now, maybe a "try" at 8 wide is in order.  We'll see.  I don't see it
happening anytime soon, though.)

4. Perhaps I constrain myself, but I feel that some of the pieces LEGO makes
are just made for 6-wide:  like 4 wide windshields.  (When it comes to piece
design philosophy, I am particularly disappointed by the 4 wide airplane
nose/tail complex slopes.  I have always wished for a split symmetry to
allow variable width choices. Anyway....)

I really appreciate the "cool and innovative" compliments, and I thank you for
the vote of confidence in pursuing the world of 8-wide.
I would, however, rather invite you to build an Acela in 8-wide!  I would be
more than pleased to see what current experts in 8-wide could do to scale a
6-wide creation up to 8-wide.
In some ways, I think a move to 8 wide could be dissappointing from me.  I do
not necessarily think that it follows that if someone is good at 6 wide, they
would be good at 8-wide, or anything else.  I think 8 wide opens up many more
dimensions than just "2 studs" ;-)

I get so much inspiration from this newsgroup.  There are always numerous fresh
ideas tucked away in the new MOC's I see here. I know that I have certainly
benefited from your (plural) creations.
I hope that the more detailed photos I take of the construction are useful to
others' inspirations, too.

Play well.
later,
James Mathis

James Mathis wrote:

Acela HSEL locomotive version 2 items of note:
1. nose piece is attached by means of magnets.

2. two Acela locomotives made

3. two Acela locomotives attached nose-to-nose
   a. magnetic "bar" used to couple the two locomotives nose-to-nose.
   b. range of motion in the coupler limits track configuration (hard- "s"
curves derail the train. see note below).
   c. The limitation is primarily due to the coupler being located on the • nose,
rather than the front bogie.  This results in the nose tip swinging far out
through curves.

3. special black roof piece found in RoboForce set #2152 Robo Raptor to
interface black cab slope into gray slope roof line.

4. cargo box added near nose/cab area of locomotive #2

5. alternate blue underskirting added to locomotive (hangs too low in my
opinion- will likely not be used in final model).

6. pantagraph and "electronic" roof line details under study.

One of the pictures viewable via the link above shows a track layout.  The • two
Acela locomotives coupled nose-to-nose have successfully negotiated this • track
layout for a duration of approximately 25 minutes.  Each locomotive had a • 9volt
train motor beneath the nose area.  The train set consisted of only the two
nose-to-nose locomotives; no additional rolling stock was attached.

Another track layout shows two "s-curve" types.  These are negotiable by the
nose-to-nose coupled Acela locomotives.

I wish the design could navigate any track geometry.
I encourage someone else to figure that out, as I'd love to see a solution, • or
any other designs!

Build on!
later,
James Mathis