 Trains / 7747
Re: Are the new Duplo trains a sign?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 20:31:19 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steve Bliss writes:
The new DUPLO sets could indicate the LEGO thinks the target market
for train sets is 2-to-5.  If that's so, then System Train is doomed.

This phenomenon seems to be not unique to Lego. Around where I live it
is quite easy to find the Thomas trains or the Brio trains in the toy stores,
while you have to go to special hobby shops for the sophisticated stuffs.

To me the new Duplo trains are Lego's answer to the Thomas and the
Brio trains.

If Lego really needs to juniorize things, do it correctly as in these Duplo
trains! (Fortunately Lego starts showing signs of reversing the trend of
juniorization. You might not like the flamboyant colors and designs in the
Race theme, but you have to agree that with this theme Lego has
achieved high playability without a bit of juniorization.)

Cheers,
Hao-yang Wang