 Trains / 7569
Re: Are the new Duplo trains a sign?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 2000 07:24:05 GMT

Christopher Masi wrote:

Well, I saw the duplo freight train ( http://guide.lugnet.com/set/2933 ) in the
S@H catalogue, but today I saw the new Duplo passenger train (
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/2932 ) in TRU. I was impressed by the freight train,
and I am equally impressed by the passenger train. So, a thought pops into my
head. Why would LEGO put so much effort into Duplo trains and ignore regular
trains? I do not think that they would. I think, read hope, the new Duplo
line-up represents a new commitment to trains. Maybe LEGO is developing the
market from the wee ones up? Get them hooked when they are young, and keep them
coming back for more.

Boy, I hope all the neat trains for the little ones are a sign of a new
commitment to the trains in general.

That would be great and that is my hope as well.  My fear is that the mediocrity of
recent 9 volt set designs reflects just the opposite.  I see no vision, no master
plan, no desire other than to put out junk.  But even the *junkiest* set would have
been highly prized if only they had tossed into the set 2 pair of train doors, for
example, but nope.  So it appears they are just going to let 9 volt fade away with
a whimper into oblivion.

That's the bad news.  The good news is-- and this is my deepest, secret hope--that
the abandonment of the current 9 volt could be due to the creation of a new line
altogether.  A new line that caters to the growing group of LEGO train enthusiasts
around the world who have taken LEGO train designs to new heights which far exceed
their origins.  That is really what this theme needs to do-- evolve into something
better-- a complete retooling.

Perhaps this means partnering with other manufacturers such as Kadee, Märklin, or
LGB; but something radical needs to happen, because the same ol' same ol' is, for
all intents and purposes, a complete waste of effort.  Meaning: I, as a huge LEGO
train fan, would rather have a few service packs of various train elements than buy
any more lame 9 volt set designs currently being produced.  And if *I* don't buy
them, who will?

I have high hopes for LEGO trains.  I am seeing LTCs springing up around the world,
and I see LTCs displaying at train shows providing incredibly valuable exposure for
TLC.  There is no better form of advertising IMO than word of mouth and
testimonials, and that is why I believe it is in TLC's best interest to invest in
this theme (even at a loss), because the potential on return is so vast.

And BTW, TLC, feel free to consult me any time-- I'd love to help you create the
most awesome train system ever offered:-)

-John