 Trains / 6778
Re: Help with train show setup
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 22:36:52 GMT

Michel Magnan <m_magnan@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
news:FysE9n.9nt@lugnet.com...
Hello seasoned Lego train fans.
In preparation for Northern Alberta LUGs first public train show on • September
23 and 24, I was wondering if you could give me some advice on the • following.

1)  Skirt for tables (BTW, I have copied the PNLTC tables), what is being
used? I heard somewhere that some places required it be fire retardant.

We here at the NGLTC have never been require to use "fire retardant" skirts.
So found that a few sets of colored sheets from Walmart worked great and are
cheap. A single bed sheet split down the middle covered a lot of table
sides.
http://www.ngltc.org/legooutlet2000/image196.htm

2)  Do you have/need plexiglass on the outside of the layout?  What kind, • what
height?  Is it mostly to catch derailings, or does it help prevent little • (or
big) hands from touching YOUR Lego!

We have been adding plexiglass in the interactive kid areas, so they can get
a bit closer. For the most part we use rope, unforunatly that doesn't always
keep the little one away, but it works pretty well most of the time. Also
its nice in the derailing prone areas, even though we try to limit having
areas like that.

3)  Rope barrier, are these always used, are they useful, are they in • addition
to the plexiglass?  What height, any suggestions for construction?

As for making rope barriers, I just made use of all the LEGO buckets filling
up my garage. I cut a hole in the top and placed a piece of 2" PVC pipe into
bucket with a few scoopes of concrete. They hold up very well. I also found
that when we had one piece of rope going around the layout little ones would
still shoot under, but when we added a second rope they stayed back better.
http://www.ngltc.org//novgats/pics/image66.htm

Thanks very much for your advice.

Michel Magnan

Hope that helps some,