 Trains / 6777
Re: Help with train show setup
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 22:12:24 GMT

Michel Magnan wrote:

Hello seasoned Lego train fans.
In preparation for Northern Alberta LUGs first public train show on September
23 and 24, I was wondering if you could give me some advice on the following.

1)  Skirt for tables (BTW, I have copied the PNLTC tables), what is being
used? I heard somewhere that some places required it be fire retardant.

When we did the NMRA show we (GMLTC) were required to use fire retardant
material.

2)  Do you have/need plexiglass on the outside of the layout?  What kind, what
height?  Is it mostly to catch derailings, or does it help prevent little (or
big) hands from touching YOUR Lego!

3)  Rope barrier, are these always used, are they useful, are they in addition
to the plexiglass?  What height, any suggestions for construction?

I know the PNLTC uses ropes and plexiglass and swears by them.  We at the GMLTC
use nothing.  We find that 99% of the people and kids are respectful of the
layout and don't touch.  Maybe it's a Midwest thing;-)  Personally, I feel that
the one kid in 50 who is bold enough to touch is going to do *whatever* they want
to touch-- go under a rope, reach over plexiglass, etc.  Maybe it's because we
don't provide a play area for kids to touch and play with LEGO.  If there is such
an area, the line between good touch and bad touch might get blurred in a child's
mind.

Good luck with the show!

FUT. .trains.org

-John