 Trains / 4443
Re: Searchlight car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 21:48:36 GMT

Here is a thought: The spotlight could not rotate 360 degrees. There would
not be any way for the internal light to receive constant power without the
wires getting tangled (using pure methods anyhow.). To power the light you
must use a wire to connect the battery pack to the light.  (Unless of course
you ran the train 3 feet forward, 3 feet back, etc. Not too eye catching)

The other alternative for 360  degree rotation would be to use a 9 volt
batter box and make it part of the revolving light assembly. You could turn
the light with a lead running from the 9 volt motor and connect it to a
micromotor. This might be best because I personally cannot stand that when
running at a lower speed the train light does not illuminate fully. The
additional battery would eliminate this problem.

By the way what does this spotlight do again? Light up the box car in front
of it? ;-)

-Nick

Ben Fleskes wrote in message ...
Or you could use what they did with the new snow plow set and make it
mechanically powered.

If only there was a good way to do this with bogie cars... Anyone have • ideas?

Ben F

In lugnet.trains, Tom Stangl writes:
I personally would use a motor on that car to feed it up to the • light/motor.

If I build this, I'll probably make it a generic light car, with the • searchlight
in the middle, and banks of floodlights on each end.  If you look at the • pic,
it
looks like there are mounts on each end for more searchlights.

Oh, and if you use a diffuser lense on the searchlight, it becomes a • pretty
powerful floodlight ;-)  I'm not sure if the lense on that light is a • diffuser
or a Fresnel to concentrate the light.  Most searchlights I've seen have a • plain
clear lense, and use the reflector to concentrate the light.

Nick Goetz wrote:

Here's another question, maybe directed more at Tom S. but any • experienced
train(ee) will probably have their own method. I am mostly interested in
techniques. To supply the light car with power would you a)  build a 9V
battery box into the generator car. b) Feed power from the engine car to • the
spot light car. c) put one of the motors under the light car. d) • something
else?

-Nick
(the curious one)

Frank Filz wrote in message <38B6B51A.2620@mindspring.com>...
<snip>>
Of course for slightly additional realism, one should build an
accompanying generator car.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com