 Trains / 4072
Re: Home layouts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 00:08:38 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

Jim Rorstrom wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Paul Foster writes:

I'm curious, how many people actually have train tracks set up
and available at home to run trains on?  Some folks, it is obvious
from the web pages (like Joe D) that they can run trains anytime
but I was just wondering about others?

Paul,

  I started in Lego® trains 2 years ago when I saw 4559 in the S@H catalog • and
thought it would be fun under the Christmas tree.  I liked how the train • ran,
even on the carpet, and the kids loved it too.  Last year I bought a few • more
sets and expanded the layout to >>     In the future a second level in • planned complete with a helix-in-a-mountain
to move trains between levels.  To anyone planning an extensive layout the
track designer program at Matt's Lego® Train Depot is a mus

??? a...muse? a mustake?;-)  Don't know what happened but your layout sounds
swweet, Jim.  Would love, and I'm sure others concur, to see pix:-)

I have just started laying out my permanent layout, with track in place. It • is an
"L" that is 45" wide on the ends and 9' long along one wall and 7 1/2' along • the
other.  Jim, this might be of interest to you, because I have two levels as • you
wish to build.  You cannot make a traditional circle helix because you cannot • get
high enough in the distance of less than one perimeter length.  I take a very
gradual grade up (up by about 1 plate/section--about 20'), but a rather steep
decline (down 1 brick/section).  I'll be able to hide the decline in a • mountain
(30"x45"), but I'm guessing that is the bare minimum.

-John

John/Jim,

Just picked up on this one.
Like you, I have started on my own permanent layout which is based in the
loft. Constrution is 6mm ply onto timber braces which are themselves fixed to
the internal roof trusses. The layout is in a large L shape approx. 15' along
each leg and on two levels, and this is where I decided to 'play safe' with
the inclines. Instead of providing spirals I opted for a more prototypical
appearance using long straight inclines to minimise the effect on performance.
As the track base is ply and has been fixed at an incline it was quite a
simple task to build the gradients and heights to suit. As a guide, I used
Matthew Bates' Train Depot geometry etc. and with underpass headroom of 14-15
bricks and inclines equivelent to 2 plates/length of track.

Although the layout is unfinished I have managed to build a lengthy test track
including two inclines to link the upper and lower sections in a sort of
convoluted figure 8 and there are no problems pulling 8+ double bogie cars
uphill (with a suitably heavy loco like 4565). As the majority of each incline
is on the straight, I feel I could have gone steeper but it's all cut and
carved now.

The finished article is some way off- I, too, need to paint backscenes and
bases and put in a few hills/tunnel mouths using (look away from the screen)
non-lego modelling materials. My aim is to produce something in between
the 'toy-like' average Lego circular layouts and a detailed prototypical
system with working signals etc (flexible track please, Mr. Lego)

Your experinces all sound very familiar - I sold most of my '00' scale model
trains to move up to a more solid '0' scale. Needless to say, now that I have
rediscovered Lego trains the regular model railway stuff just sleeps in it's
boxes and my two girls (4 and 6) can 'touch' the trains. This last point is
the main reason why traditional railway modelling, at least in Britain, has an
aging following.

Jon

Ps - loft is a good choice, you can even get a small beer fridge through the
hatch!