 Trains / 3975
Re: 9v train idea book: I might be making one, anyone interested?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 06:17:09 GMT

#1 - back off on the regulations.  Just because DAT files are not available
doesn't mean a model isn't worthy of being included in the idea book.

Sorry. I will remove that restriction. If you have instructions in some other
form they will be accepted used in the book so long as they are either cad
instructions or photographic instructions. I am going to insist on one thing
here: no rendered images in this book, because I HATE rendered images.

#2 - using parts not released yet doesn't really make sense to me, but if
somebody uses them, who cares.  By the time we get the book, the parts will
either be out or coming out soon.

OK Fine. If you have the part then go for it. I was just trying to make it so
that when the book is finished anyone can get the pieces they need for it
reasonably easily.

#3 - using older parts gives many of us with said parts good ideas for using
them.  I use the old space lasers, which are not made anymore, for window
shades.  How is that idea not going to qualify for inclusion in your book?
Do we update the models over time to remove offending pieces?

Basicly if you use pieces that haven't been used in a set since 9v trains was
introduced then they will be hard to find. TLG never uses parts that havent been
made in years in its idea books so why should we? There are great pieces that
people could use for their models but those pieces are now as rare as hens
teath. The models that instructions are provided for should be possible to make
with pieces from recent (9v era) sets. For the forseeable future most of these
sets shouldn't be too hard to obtain from one of the numerous auctions
constantly going on.

#4 - If john doe Lego has a great idea for using a microscout that nobody
thought of before, it is not to be included because why?  You couldn't
realize the potential?  Let the cybermaster, scout, microscout, code pilot
thingy and anything else Lego has be in it.  If it isn't useful, that will
cause the offending parts to not be used.

OK. The problem with this is that the programs needed for these items are very
hard to document in print. Can you print out a scout program on paper? I think
not, therefore how is the person who is building the excellent model going to
know how to program the scout to do what it is supposed to do to make the model
work.

#5 - make it like the internet:  free for the contributor to decide the best
way to present his/her creation.

any way except for rendered images is just fine.

#6 - town buildings are part of trains.  Train stations, freight harbors,
etc., are just as important to a good looking layout as rolling stock.

I didn't mean that buildings are not good but they have to be appropriate to the
trains e.g. I don't want any police stations or houses or airports in this idea
book.

--
Jonathan Wilson
wilsonj@xoommail.com