 Trains / 3144
Re: Massive 4-8-8-4 Steam locomotive pics posted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 09:30:42 GMT

Dan wrote:

As a direct result of Larry Pieniazek's off the cuff "couldn't be done" remark
of a few days ago, I posted pictures of my massive steam locomotive with 4-8-8-
4 wheel configuration that I have just built over the weekend.

Sick, twisted (1) and strangely attractive. Very nice. Of course it's
all cheating, really, since none of your middle technic pulley wheels
actually are even close to being on the rails, but who cares? It looks
good.
What an exceedingly clever idea to micromotor power the drivers...

Yeah, the middle technic pulleys are offset to the track around corners, but
all sit dead center in straight-aways.  I originally had rubber Technic belts
from axel to axel to keep all of the wheels in motion, but it caused too much
friction and none of them turned.  I'm going to order a pair of micromotors
tomorrow to power the drive wheels, even if they don't actually touch the
tracks.

Move the front connection point to the boiler somewhat forward, though.
Prototypical articulateds and mallets (2) had sliders guides above the
front piston block for the smoke box to slide on. If you move the front
boiler attachment forward some, you'll stop that annoying gap over the
middle cylinders.

I took a look at some pictures of the "Big Boy" tonight and noticed the same
thing.  The trick is to move the piston block forward, but not have it
interfere with the turn radious of front wheelset.

Now, who else can I go spur to greatness with an off the cuff remark.
Takers for topic areas? :-)

However, go review the archives, I think some nutty PNLTCer has a loco
as big or bigger than this one. I didn't think much of it either. :-)

Tell me again, you've been working on this for how long? Or did you
happen to troll bait me into an apparent egg-on for something you've
been up to for months? This model doesn't seem only a few days old, too
good. Needs more small detail though. Where is your valve gear? :-) And
the domes seem rather spartan. What, no elesco feedwater heater?

Actually I started it on Saturday night at about midnight (I was a bit loaded
and "steamed" by the "toy" comment my Wild West trains received.  I worked on
the wheel sets until about 4 in the morning and I went to bed because I was so
drunk I could barely sit in my chair any more.  Most of the smoke box and cab
was built the next afternoon, while my daughter was napping, and I finished it
last night (I started the tender at 2:30 in the morning and was in bed by 3am).
I took the pictures this afternoon at lunch time (I work at home so it was just
a matter of running it up to my dinning room table) and got the photos 1-hour
developed thanks to the new B&W process.  The model I posted earlier tonight is
the result of about 12 hours work, not something I had prepared ahead of time.
As I said a few days ago, I had the design in my head, so it was just a matter
of being motivated to build it.  Why would I bait you as until two nights ago I
was content with my little Wild West trains?

1 - especially on curves... Now don't get all steamed, that's the only
pun in the whole post. Honest.

Yes, I know the curve is awkward, but awkward is different from "undoable".  It
would be nice if Lego sold track in long, flexible sections like model railroad
track, then we could build our own layouts to more realistic proportions.
Trains aren't really my thing - I just made this one for fun and for the
challenge...

2 - not all articulateds were Mallets and not all Mallets were
articulated. But most articulateds were mallets and vice versa.

OK, since posting the pictures earlier, I rebuilt the tender to a 35-stud
monster.  I skipped the capola because none of the Big Boy pics I modelled it
on had the capola like on my dad's HO scale model.  The main feat of the
evening was to create an articulated bogie plate that has contains the five
abutting rear wheel sets of a Big Boy.  You'll have to see it to belive it...
If you're in town all week maybe you should just come and look at it.

I also re-worked the dome and stack configuration based on the Big Boy's and
I'm going to end there for tonight.  Tomorrow evening I'm going to re-work the
front end and put on the running boards, plumbing and widen the cab a half
brick on either side.  Electrical and the Micromotors will have to wait until
my order arrives from S@H.

OK... it's now past 3:30 and I should go to bed as tomorrow is gonna be hell
and I can't put off sleep forever...

Dan

blackened@visi.com