 Trains / 3145
Re: Switching from 4,5V to 9V
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 13:06:42 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Matthias Gahr writes:
Hi there,
is there any brick - or has anyone "build" one - which allows to connect 4,5V
tracks to 9V tracks? (I first got a shock when I saw the 9V tracks...)

I have built 2.  Take a piece of straight 9v track, and cut it in 1/2.  Take 2
rails from the 4.5V track, and cut them in 2.  (I use a dremel (the metal on
the 9v track) and a minature Hacksaw (the plastic) to do my cutting).  Take 1
sleeper, a 1x8 plate in gray/black, a 2x4 plate in the same colour, and build
up the 4.5 V track with the sleeper at one end, the 1x8 at the other, with the
2x4 between the rails on the 1x8.  Test fit this to make sure that you have a
even edge on both of the 9V track pieces.

Take Epoxy glue and mix some up (I'd use 24 hr if speed isn't important), and
lift up the 2x4, putting glue on its bottom side (it doesn't take much). Attach
the 4.5V segment to the 1/2 of the 9 V segment at the end that you cut (not the
one with the fancy clips!  Put some glue in the gaps between the rails, and
presto, one 4.5V-9V transition piece.

Even so:
Has anyone experience in tuning up 4,5V tracks to allow 9V trains to go on it

No, it is not possible.  You can run 4.5V trains on the 9V track, but not vise
versa.  You also can run 9V motors on the 12v track with modifications, but I
don't have any experence doing this...one of the German fellows has done it.