 Trains / 30490
Re: Hobby Train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:35:26 GMT

In lugnet.trains, David Graham wrote:

It is nice that it will be aimed at AFOL's but it would be better if were also
aimed at the children's market and sold in large numbers - the Hobby train aimed
at AFOL's had to be discounted.

I wonder how much of that had to do with it being released without a motor, and
right around the same time the end of the 9v line was announced.  It's a great
set, but I, for one, was disappointed that it pictured locomotives on the box,
but didn't actually include a means of locomotion.  I would guess that decision
was made to keep the cost down, which makes sense, but it still was a
disappointment.

The other issue was the fact that you had to download most of the instructions.
I don't usually build in front of my computer, so that was another minor
frustration for me with that particular set.

On the other hand, because it was discounted, I was able to buy more. :)

I'm looking forward to the new PF trains, though I'm still trying to wrap my
brain around how I'm going to be able to fit all of the components into the
locomotive size I currently build.  I really don't want my RS3 to have to always
pull the same car behind it in order to include the battery box, which likely
won't fit inside the RS3's 4-wide body, but I don't see another solution.

Unless I move to 8-wide trains, of course, which I'm actually starting to do,
somewhat because of this change.

-Elroy