 Trains / 30484
Re: Hobby Train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2008 12:39:08 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ram Sreerangam wrote:
I am curious, does anyone have an update as to what happened to the Hobby Train?
Should we be looking for something new beginning of '09?

-Ram

I didn't work on the Hobby Train, though I'll try to give you my best answer.
Those who did (such as Tim Gould) may want to add their comment as well.

The Hobby Train was an effort to develop a fan-created train set, and that
effort has now concluded - and the hobby train sets sold out at this point also.

The next big thing for LEGO Trains will be the Power Functions train system.
There are a few  AFOLs providing input that may influence this new system.
According to the press releases, this system should debut by Summer of 2009.  We
haven't received any recent information on the new system, other than that it
will have some commonality with the current Power Functions system.  It will use
the current RC train motor, the PF IR receiver, a new IR speed controller, and a
Li-Ion battery with a 4x8x4 stud form factor.

Now, the following statements are purely my opinions and are in no way binding:

My speculation is that the new sets, when released, will not resemble the "Hobby
Train" system - that is to say, I do not expect a universal assortment of parts
with instructions for dozens of fan-created models.  I would expect that a
freight train or passenger train, or perhaps both, will be released - with a
target age group of 5-12. We may see a similar release to the RC trains, where
there are two sets offered, at different price points and with different levels
of sophistication. I don't know whether these will include any fan-designed
models; my thinking is no, that the fan involvement is limited to development of
the the new drive system for the trains.

Of course, if you're interested in fan-designed trains, be sure to follow what
shows up in Railbricks and on LEGO Factory.

-Jordan Schwarz