 Trains / 29671
Re: End of 9V Trains protest layout idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:24:44 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:
<cut>
If you want to improve this record, you should try to use the 4.5V battery
trains from earlier than 1968: those have had the so far strongest LEGO
motors ever (ok, possibly the "Dirt Crusher" excluded) and they have had the
hook couplings. => it has always been the magnet as weak spot in a train, not
the motors.

In May, I made a test (based on your information):
http://www.kostky.org/forum/index.php?topic=12436.0

A loco (built after set 112-2) pulled 20 two-axle "oldschool" cars. 11 of them
had the old wheels with traction teeth, 6 had various spoked wheels (years
1969-1990) and 3 had the "9V-style" wheels. The first 4 cars were coupled by
hook, the other by magnet. It was nearly impossible to pull the cars with my
hand!!! But the loco pulled them as if it had no load at all. I think it could
pull MANY cars with the best wheels and appropriate coupling.

Regards,
Martin